I don’t know if there’s a fancy name for this dish, but somehow I don’t think it really matters. Let’s just call it delicious. And ridiculously easy.
This was a really nice change from our usual chicken menu, which usually just consists of grilled chicken or chicken nuggets. All it took was bread-crumbing the chicken, topping it with mushrooms, mozzarella, and chicken stock, and tossing it into the oven. That’s it. I absolutely loved how flavorful this meal was–the mozzarella and mushrooms are so delicious together.
The pictures and experience makes me think 3 things:
- I really need a tripod. My unsteady shots are getting ridiculous.
- The chicken is smothered with so much mozzarella that it makes me think of pizza.
- Since barbecue chicken pizza happens to be one of my favorite pizzas, it makes me think I should have definitely topped this dish with barbecue sauce as well. (I’ll just have to try that next time).
Chicken topped with Mushrooms and Mozzarella
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Optional: BBQ Sauce (I haven’t tried this and had this idea on a whim, but I think it would be all kinds of awesome).
(adapted from here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place half of the mushrooms in a 9×13 inch pan. Dip chicken into beaten eggs, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown both sides of chicken in skillet. Place chicken on top of mushrooms, arrange remaining mushrooms on chicken, and top with mozzarella cheese. Add chicken broth to pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.