You: Ugh. This wrap isn’t pretty at all. Away with it!
Me: But…it’s the inside that matters!
You: Not if you have a blog that’s very dependent on your photos.
Me: Okay. Fine. How about I show you the wrap…unwrapped.
You: That makes no sens– *gasps*
See how wrong you were?
Chicken wraps are actually analogous to women who wear the hijab… our true beauties are hidden within the wrap. :) And believe it or not, the chicken wrap tastes even better than it looks. I make this about 30 times a week for my family for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The recipe actually came about when my brother told me he was hungry one day and I just kind of threw these ingredients together. Little did I know how amazing it would turn out.
You can’t be surprised I put this recipe up after making homemade flour tortillas. And bonus! The only ingredients (besides the spreads and sauces) are flour tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and grilled chicken. All ingredients you probably have (or can make) right now!
And in case you’re wondering what that sauce is on top…
Taco Bell sauce! Because it makes the world a better place. We take about 4258 packets home with us when we go to Taco Bell because we love it so much. Recently I actually made a homemade version of Taco Bell sauce (and you can find a similar recipe here)…but I still need to perfect it, so more on that later!
Now the fun part! Wrap it up by folding the bottom and side together and then rolling…
Fun fact: When I first came up with this wrap, I struggled with how to wrap it (ironic). I tried it in taco form, burrito form, and every other form you can think of but nothing else was working…every time my brother would try to eat it, it would become a mess on the plate. Finally, I figured it out! Close one side, and leave the other side open. I was so proud of myself when I finally got it right.
So after you’re done, this is the front:
Back. (it’s supposed to be more closed than this, but you try closing a wrap with a camera in your hand).
Just remember…it’s the inside that matters. And the inside is absolutely beautiful. And delicious.
Toasted Chicken Wrap
- Lettuce, chopped (a strip of lettuce or two will do for one wrap)
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1/2 Tomato, diced (I use fresh tomatoes, but I think the canned stuff would be fine)
- Grilled chicken, cubed (can be seasoned or not)
- Sour cream (low-fat)
- Cheese spread (I used this 4-cheese mexican cheese spread, but any good cheese spread like cheddar will do)
- Sauce (I use Taco Bell sauce. You can make your own viewing the link above. Do NOT substitute ketchup for the sauce. Try making your own tomato-vinegar sauce instead)
- Chop the lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. Dice the grilled chicken into cubes. Put aside on a plate.
- Spread sour cream on tortilla, then spread cheese over the sour cream until they’re blended.
- Add chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and onions, and then add cubed chicken.
- Take 2-3 packets of Taco Bell sauce and spread over chicken.
- To wrap tortilla, fold the bottom and perpendicular side on top and roll into a wrap (if it’s too full, try removing some pieces of chicken or veggies). Place in toaster oven for 4 minutes until tortilla is no longer soft.
- Enjoy, write me a thank-you letter, and send me presents.