You might have noticed that I put coffee in quotation marks…consider it a warning.
This cake has no coffee whatsoever. Apparently it’s called coffee cake because it’s supposed to be served with coffee. It’s not like I’d call a cake a chocolate milk cake just because I eat it with chocolate milk…’cause then a lot of cakes would be called chocolate milk cake, amiright? Misleading misnomers…
But you know what? It’s a pretty delicious cake. And I substituted all of the butter in the recipe for apple sauce and it turned out great! Yup, you won’t feel guilty reaching for that second piece. :)
And in case y’all were wondering where I was the past week, well…basically all I wanted to do for the past week was get out of the house for some needed human interaction, play with my new iPad (maybe I should make an iPad cake, eh?), and watch Everybody Loves Raymond. It was a relaxing week, but I’m back down to blogging Earth. :)
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake (adapted from allrecipes.com)
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I actually used 1/2 cup applesauce instead)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used half for the topping and half for the batter)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and 1-1/4 cups of sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Combine the pecans, cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely before cutting.
to7fa! as usual! <3
It does looks very delicious. Well, how could it be not delish with chocolate chips!
I want a slice…the chocolate chips call to me. :) Excellent use of applesauce to make it a little healthier.
I always have to remember that coffee cake does not contain coffee. (I really hate coffee.) This looks delicious!
Yum, yum, yum! I have never even considered that a coffee cake would have coffee. I have always assumed it’s something I eat with coffee but you made a good point. I don’t call french fries, “catsup potatoes”. Anyhow, I am glad you are back to blogging because I missed reading your posts. :) Take care.
you know the chocolate chips on top really made the cake look so classy! I suck as icing cakes and i honestly don’t even like icing cakes. Next time I will garnish it with chocolate chips! classy .. easy and no mess !! huh:)
Perfect tea break over a cup of coffee~ ;)
I like the applesauce substitution idea! I think I’m going to have to try that in the future for healthier treats! Your “coffee” cake looks great!
Gosh, that looks so good. When is tea time? I need some of that cake!
It’s the same with ‘tea cake’ – no tea to be seen, except in the pot next to the cake! Love your coffee cake, a big slice is just the thing for afternoon munchies.
I have seen this “coffee” cake on couple of other blogs too.Looks amazing.In fact I agree with you, I would love to have a slice with milk instead of coffee :)
Your cake looks wonderful! I substitute applesauce in a lot of my recipes…I try to keep it healthy. Glad you had a relaxing week! We all need some R&R occasionally.
Well I certainly forgive you for disappearing from my life now that you’ve given me an excuse to eat cake for breakfast! (Since that’s when I drink my coffee.) Love this!
That cake is calling me! What a great idea to switch to applesauce! For the past two weeks all we have done is eat ma’mouls and I am ready for some coffee cake!
Oh, my kids would be all over this cake. How can anything topped with chocolate chips be anything but yummy?
with our without the butter I’d go for the second slice, looks wonderful.
Thanks for sharing
i love the generous sprinkling of choc chips on top. Your cake looks perfect :)
oh my! that looks INCREDIBLE! I love all your photos!