Not only am I back…but I’m back with a new design! I’m totally stoked* about it! I think this design suits me really well, and it only took me a
LOT of trial and error single morning to finish!
Yesterday on my Facebook profile I posted a status asking whether or not I should quit the blog and just work on Facebook via a fan page. My creativity levels were at their lowest and I hadn’t baked for some time. To my pleasant surprise, everyone who responded wanted me to keep it…I had been expecting the opposite.
So yesterday, you guys motivated me. I redesigned the blog, started the Facebook fan page, and am officially motivated to start baking and cooking again! I have a lot of ideas for the blog…besides food recipes, I shall be adding (insha’Allah!) little cartoons of the cartoon Miss Anthropist (and her kitchen mis-haps)! They’re extremely stupid, so please don’t judge me. I’m currently taking the college semester off and am relieved that my brain is still functioning. I think they’re cute enough to be tolerable, and who knows? You might even like ’em. :)
Oh and before I forget: I did end up creating a Facebook fan page! Here’s the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miss-Anthropists-Kitchen/114059165327964 so “like” and tell a friend. :) And be sure to let me know what you think of the new design, suggestions are totally welcomed with open arms (and baked treats).
Anyway, here’s a shoutout to Reem (who I think is my biggest blog supporter, I love ya!) Lena, Hadeer, Marwa, and my brother (ish…). Thanks for the motivation y’all, you guys rock! Have some cupcakes! ;)
Above is an old picture, some cupcakes I made for my friend Marwa’s birthday last year. They’re chocolate mint cupcakes (she’s a chocolate-mint-a-holic), and so so good! The reason I’m putting these cupcakes up now is because I recently made chocolate mint cupcakes but didn’t take a picture. This picture isn’t that great, but I think it’s a pretty darn cute set of cupcakes, don’t you?
Here’s the recipe!
Chocolate Mint Cupcakes (adapted from http://www.allrecipe.com’s Black Magic Cake…I just changed the vanilla to mint)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee (or water)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or yogurt/milk + tablespoon of lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9×13 inch pan.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. Fill and frost as desired.
Mint Frosting (adapted http://www.therepressedpastrychef.com’s Buttercream Dream Icing)
- 1 stick salted butter – room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter – room temperature
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon Clear Vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar, 10x)
- 4-6 tablespoons very cold milk
- Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer.
- Add the clear vanilla extract and combine well. Begin adding in the sugar and mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, begin adding the very cold milk, one tablespoon at a time, combining very well after each addition (mixer on medium-high to high speed) until you reach the desired consistency.
* – I’m so sorry you had to see me use the word “stoked”…but that’s how excited I am about this design!