I have nothing to say, except MAKE THIS!
This, my friends, is a homemade copycat of a Reese’s peanut butter cup–only better. I made this when I was in Egypt and craving some of the Reese’s goodness. It’s not really widespread in Egypt (God knows why), so I decided to search for a homemade method.
Argument #1: Homemade Reese’s…? Doubt they’ll taste anything like the store-bought ones.
Refute: They are as good, if not better!
Argument #2: Are there lots of ingredients? I really hate lots of ingredients.
Refute: There are only FIVE ingredients! The best part is that these ingredients (chocolate, butter, sugar, peanut butter, and chocolate chips) are more or less essentials in every household (or at least my household).
This recipe doesn’t actually involve baking. All it takes is combining a few ingredients (chocolate + peanut butter = one of the greatest food combinations known to mankind) and storing in the fridge. Trés simple, and tastes heavenly.
This recipe was adapted from http://www.tasteofhome.com
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- 4 and 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 and 1/2 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each, or about 40 grams each), coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup peanut butter, butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt until smooth; set aside.
- In a microwave, melt the chocolate chips, candy bars and remaining peanut butter; stir until smooth.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of chocolate mixture into paper-lined miniature muffin cups. Top each with a scant teaspoonful of peanut butter mixture; top with another teaspoonful of chocolate mixture. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container.
(Note: Some recipes recommend you refrigerating the first chocolate teaspoon and waiting until it hardens before adding the peanut butter and other chocolate mixture. It’s probably a good idea, but I haven’t tried this method. I’m impatient when it comes to food).
Yield: About 20 regular-sized cups