Ah, Garfield the Cat would be so excited for this post. (Anyone remember Garfield by the way?)
Although I’m not much of a lasagna person, I thought these little treats were delicious! I made them with my friends (which is why you can see 2 hands in the first picture) the same day we made the parmesan zucchini bread sticks. It was a yummy day.
But…here comes the shocker: there is absolutely no pasta in this recipe.
I know. We were confused too, but as soon as we tasted it, we understood why. Somehow the wonton wrappers end up tasting exactly like pasta.
I don’t have a proper picture of the final result, but I don’t think it matters. I think it’s obvious how delicious this is. Lasagna lovers rejoice!
Petite Lasagnas (recipe adapted from Can You Stay For Dinner)
- 12 oz raw ground turkey (you can use ground beef)
- ¼ tsp salt, divided
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes, or tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp dried oregano, divided
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 ½ cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 24 small square wonton wrappers (the kind near the tofu in the refrigerated section of the produce dept)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey, onions, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Crumble the meat and saute the mixture for about 10 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through. Add the garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and 2 tsp of oregano. Bring the pan to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, a pinch of salt and pepper, the remaining teaspoon of oregano, and the basil. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 wonton wrapper into each of the 12 cups, pressing firmly in the bottom of the cup and up the sides.
- Using half of the ricotta mixture, divide it among the 12 muffin cups. Next, using half of the turkey tomato sauce, spoon it evenly over each of the ricotta filled cups. Sprinkle with 2 tsp of mozzarella.
- Gently press another wonton wrapper on top of the mozzarella layer.
- Repeat the process by distributing the remaining ricotta, then the remaining tomato sauce, and finally the rest of the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Let the cups cool, remove them from the pan, and serve!